As a charming country packed with plentiful tourist attractions, Switzerland has all things in store for a perfect getaway. This snow-covered wonderland is full of surprises for nature lovers, adrenaline junkies, spiritual souls, foodies as well as history buffs. Let’s find out what really makes Switzerland Vacation an excellent one!
Top Places to visit in Switzerland
Known as ‘top of Europe’, Jungfraujoch has the highest railway stations in the continent – an incredible achievement by the railway. Enroute to Jungfraujoch, there are two stations at Eigerwand and Eismeer, where you can enjoy some breathtaking landscapes like never before. Another key feature you should see is the Glacier Palace with ice crystals and beautiful ice sculptures. You can also have unspoiled views of Aletsch Glacier from the Sphinx Observatory. There are quite a few restaurants and chocolate shops are available to satiate your taste buds.
A visit to Lucerne – city lying between the Alps and Swiss plateau along with the crystal clear waters of Lake Lucerne – is exactly like reading a fairy-tale. Medieval architectures, streets, bustling town squares, bridges, and ice-capped landscapes makes the city stand apart among the Switzerland attractions. A major landmark in the city is the 14th-century chapel bridge, which is one of the world’s oldest surviving bridges in Switzerland. Another major attraction is the Swiss transport museum that imparts a wide knowledge about the evolution of transportation systems (including water, road, rail, and air) in the country.
The financial hub of Switzerland, Zurich is notable for its cleanliness and high-quality life. A city associated with economic aspects, people who love business and luxury cannot miss a visit to Bahnhofstrasse Street which is packed with bank vaults and elite shops selling anything and everything. Notable attractions in the city are old town or Altstadt that is famous for traditional food, Swiss National Museum with religious frescoes and weapons, Museum of Art housing great works of Picasso, Chagall, Kandinsky and Munch, and many more. Touring Zurich by a boat is another way to experience the city.
Located in the Eastern part of the country, Geneva is particularly known for its lake that offers plenty of recreational opportunities. It is also famous for its unique cuisines, no wonder it is home to thousands of restaurants. Geneva’s attractions are plenty; towering Water fountain ‘Jet d’Eau’ (one of the most photographed sites in the city), St.Pierre Cathedral, International Museum of the Red Cross, Reformation wall, Patek Philippe Museum are some among them. Moreover, many international organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), World Trade Organization (WTO) and the International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) are also based in Geneva.
The largest waterfall in Switzerland, Rhine Falls awe-inspires visitors with its scenic beauty. There are observation terraces providing visitors with panoramic views, which are particularly more stunning in the evening. Visitors can either relax near the falls hearing its roaring sound or more adventure ones can take a boat ride to the massive rock formation located in the center of this cascade – the best way to test your courage during Switzerland Holidays.
Best time to visit
- The months from June to September are the most preferred time for making a Switzerland trip, as the climate will be awesome.
- For those who are looking for outdoor activities, September to December will be the best time. Winter in Switzerland starts from December and continues till March which is the ideal time for winter sports like skiing. Spring (between March and June) is also a good time for a trip to Switzerland.
Accommodation and Food
- There are top hotels such as Hotel Suisse, Hotel Pax and Royal Manotel that features wonderful ambiance, super rooms, and fine dining.
- Those vacationing in Zurich can find perfect lodging options at Design Hotel Plattenhof, Walhalla Hotel, and Seegarten Swiss Quality Hotel.
- If you are staying in Lucerne, you can have ample of choices like Ameron Hotel Flora Luzern, Ballpark hotel and Hotel Spatz.
Safety and security
The rate of serious offenses is comparatively low in the country. However, you should be vigilant about theft especially in the much-crowded areas. It is recommended to take care of your belongings like passports, credit cards, ornaments, and phones.
Laws to know before you go
- It is advised to follow the traffic rules and instructions given by local police while you are traveling in the country. Any violation of traffic rules will result in a heavy fine.
- It is good to carry a valid ID proof with you all the time otherwise, you may be taken for questioning.
- Carrying drugs can result in heavy penalties and imprisonment.
Pack your bags to this beautiful destination keeping all these Switzerland travel tips in your mind as an outstanding vacation awaits you there.