Knowing how to pack for a trip isn’t easy as you think. If you are planning for an adventurous trip, things will get more complicated. Because you have to organize everything from beginning to end in a manner that fit the safari backpacks. Don’t worry, we have made our your job less tiresome. Whether your first trip or you are a frequent traveler, this desert trip packing list always helps to have an outline of what items you should take along with you.
Let’s find out what to pack for safari
When talking about what to wear in desert safari you will have to pack a variety of safari clothing options while going to desert as it has a contrasting climate. This doesn’t mean you won’t need to overpack instead pack smart.
Take white/ reflective (lightweight), full sleeve and long-legged clothing to block from sun rays from during the day time. As nighttime is really cold, it is important to bring sweaters or fleece jacket, gloves, and ankle socks to keep warm.
Brimmed hat/ sun visor
Wearing a wide-brimmed hat will definitely protect you from sunstroke.
Shemagh: It will cover your face, neck, and head in order to protect from sun and dust.
Sunglasses: Darkly tinted eyeglass (with category 3) is best for eye protection. Don’t forget to take the glass case as well.
Since there will be chances in a desert safari when you will walk through rough, jagged or smooth surface, it is better to wears walking boots. Short gaiters are best recommended as it avoids the chance of getting sand inside. Don’t use flip flops or walk barefoot even though there would be a tendency to wear as sand can be very hot. You can do this in the evening. Also, keep an extra pair of socks as it can be wet from sweat.
- Backpack (Internal or external frame)
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad (inflatable or closed cell foam)
- Walking poles
- Compass or GPS
- Stuff sacks
- Utensils (for cooking and eating)
- Lamp (with batteries and bulb)
Food & Drink
Water: Bring lots of drinking water to avoid dehydration. You can also bring energy drinks.
Food: Take plenty of energy bars, dried fruits and nuts
- Sunscreen & after sun lotions, suncream (with high SPF)
- Lip balm, Lipstick or Lipgloss
- Nighttime moisturizer/lotion
- Toilet paper and baby wipes
- Toothbrush, Toothpaste, mouth wash, face wash
- Hand sanitizer
- Hairbrush or comb, hair ties, bobby pins
- Hair spray, hair gel, and beard oil
- Personal mirror
- Deodorant, perfume
- A spare pair of lens, solution and contact case (if you are a contact lens wearer)
- First Aid Kit (bandages, gauze dressings, adhesives etc..)
- Medicines for cold, fever, allergy and diarrhea
- Antibacterial ointment
- Pills, bands for motion sickness
- Eye drops
- Sunburn relief
- Insect repellent
- Mobile and charger
- Camera, memory card and Adapter
- Passport/ Visa
- Personal Identity card
- Cash, credit/debit cards
- Travel insurance documents
- Transportation tickets
Baby Feeding & Caring Items
In case of travelling with newborns or children under the age of 3, you will need to pack things like:
- Extra clothing
- Baby cream
- Disposable bags (to put used sanitary napkins)
- Baby wipes
- Bottled milk
- Feeding bottle
- Necessary medicines
- Baby soaps and creams
This ultimate safari checklist will help backpacking through desert in a hassle free way! We hope now you are ready to go! Don’t forget anything – happy traveling.